new

Thursday, August 9, 2012

I bleed orange and blue!

So many people ask me, "how did you grow up and Alabama fan, go to Auburn, and become and Auburn fan?" This is so not heard of in our neck of the woods. It's more of a sin that sends you straight to hell or family betrayal than a "bad decision". But it was the best decision I ever made. 

I was accepted to Alabama but Auburn was close to home, it's where my Dad graduated from, and it's was where all my friends were. I probably would have been ok at Bama but my life would not be what it is today (love you Doug and all the friends we have!). 

My time at Auburn had some highs and some lows but the Auburn Family I joined was worth all the lowest of the lows. I have never been able to explain it and probably never will but Auburn is different than other schools. It fit me. It fit who I was, who I wanted to be, where I wanted to go, and what I wanted to do. The spirit literally wraps itself around you and latches on. It goes deep down into your soul. You breathe it, you bleed it.

It's not just football or sports, classes or the campus, clubs or Greek life. It's ALL of it. It's sitting on a bench in between classes, tailgating, downtown, the people, Samford Hall, going out at night, baseball games, EVERYTHING! 

I tell every high school senior I come across, it's not just the degree but the life you live while getting it. 

I guess with football season a few weeks away and all the Toomers Tree coverage it just got me thinking. Like the picture above said, " Unless you have experienced it, you will never understand," why seeing Toomers, Samford Hall, or an eagle soar will take your breathe away and bring you to tears. 

I am proud to be an Auburn Tiger. I will forever bleed orange and blue. Its not a choice I made, it's just who I am.

"During the last 150 plus years, Auburn University and the Auburn Family have been through Civil War, Great Depressions, World Wars, Civil Rights, annual disaster, and daily wear. Yet, we stand tall as ever in the face of it all. The Creed bears witness to what is good about us, as a family, and as a university. It's not just the Alumni who have fortune, through hard work, to walk across the platform and shake the hand of a sitting president. It's not just the championships by various sport or the achievement of acedemic success and research. It's the pulse of who we are, what we represent, and most importantly....what we deliver to our common man or woman. We are the soil that sits below us, the air the rises above us, and the foundation that makes up who we become. We are the Auburn Family! And while the trees that we all love and cherish appear to be waning to a bitter end, the makeup of who we are lives on in all of us. We believe! We not only believe, but we KNOW! The Auburn Family is special! We prove it every day, and while we aren't perfect, we are who we say we are. The Creed lives on, and so will the spirit that leads us to the corner after a big win!" - blog by autigermt

No comments:

Post a Comment