new

Monday, October 14, 2013

Apple Pickin'

Growing up in the South, I am use to growing our own produce or going to a local farm to pick it myself. When I was little my Dad's parents always had a full garden that I got to help tend. We had a little bit of everything so when my grandmother cooked it was always fresh veggies and fruit. Between that garden and my Mom keeping fruit and veggies in the fridge instead of junk food, I have grown up to love the healthy options over the junk. Now don't get me wrong, I do go down that road every once in awhile but its not very often. I have a weakness for carbs and cheesecake.
Even my elementary school field trips were to you-pick-it farms. I remember going to ones that had fruit I did not eat at the time so I would pick for my grandparents and parents. This is one thing I would go back and tell my younger self, "Eat the damn fruit/veggies! They are freaking amazing!" To this day my Grandfather goes and picks peaches, strawberries, figs, and other fruits to jar or make something yummy (he has a big sweet tooth so it is usually a pie or ice cream).
So I guess this is one reason why I feel at home here in Maryland. They have Farmer's markets everywhere all summer/fall long and almost all of the local farms offer you-pick-it. There is even a whole website dedicated to providing the farm names and what is in season.
http://www.pickyourown.org/MD.htm
I have been dying to go since we moved up here (really wanted to hit up strawberry season) and we finally got the chance to go. It's apple season, which is my favorite, and pumpkin season so we loaded up and went to do a little pickin'. Our friends, Ryan and Sarah, came along with and we had a great time. It was 90 degrees outside, which was not fally at all, but we did not let that discourage our fun. The farm was having a fall festival with lots of activities for the kids. The best part, hayrides to the orchards and pumpkin patches for a $1 each!! The apples are amazing and so is the fudge, pie, and many other goodies we purchased at the market on the farm! I hope we get to go back soon!












No comments:

Post a Comment