new

Friday, May 13, 2016

Mason turns 1

Wow! I am amazed at how fast a year can go by. And I am REALLY amazed at how fast a little boy can grow up. This first year has been an interesting one. From heartache to sleepless nights, overwhelming joy to complete terror, it has been a roller coaster. So it was only fitting that his last days being 1 had to be the exact same way. :)

I want to thank everyone who supported me on this crazy journey to Alabama a week before we had to move with a car load of party supplies. I know I obsessed about every detail of this trip and his party because I wanted this time to be so very special. I was more than happy to pull my hair out celebrating this little man. Sorry if I took a few of yours along the way.

Thankfully just about everything went as planned. Mason was a great traveler and barely fussed the entire time we were in the car. Leaving before the sun came up was definitely worth it! Sunday went almost exactly as planned. We got to go to church for homecoming, Mason took a nap during so he would be rested for his party, we got to pig out at the lunch after church (yall don't know a pig-in/potluck until you go to a southern Baptist one!), my helpers showed up and got the party room decorated beautifully, all the food was great, Mason wasn't shy and was in a great mood, and I got to see all my favorite people.

The only complaints I have are it went by too fast, I did not get to spend enough time with everyone, and I felt like I didn't get to have a "moment" with Mason. The party kind of reminded me of our wedding. It was a blur. I remember it but it felt more like a dream rather than reality. There was no "still" moment when it was just Mason and I, caught up in the moment, lost in each other. It was just organized chaos. Ha! Then there were so many people I love there it was hard to spend enough time with each person. I wanted to spend all day with each person that was there. Then Mason... he was the star of the show and everyone wanted to see him. I felt selfish for wanting to hold him the entire time and keep that moment to ourselves. So I let him be loved on by everyone that came to see him. I wanted to just sit there and hold him and tell him how much I loved him. But I had to keep reminding myself that I got to do that every day where those who were at the party do not get that opportunity.

The rest of the week was relaxing. We had a lot of firsts (play area at Burger King, zoo, slide, etc) and we had a lot of visitors. Mason loved all the fun he was having. He loved each adventure we went on each day and he loved seeing and playing with friends that stopped by to see him in the evening. My favorite part was his time spent with Mom and Dad. Those were some great memories that I will cherish.

Looking back at the week in Alabama, I am so thankful for that time with Pops. I know he is doing amazing compared to what he could be but I am so thankful he was 100% when we were there. The pictures and videos I got of them playing together now mean more to me than they did that week. It is hard to describe the feeling. And it is really hard to figure out how I should feel being all the way up here and not able to be there with him and help the family out.

So there are way too many pictures from our week in Bama to put on here so I am posting them to Facebook. I will eventually do a Shutterfly book so I will try to remember to post it here for everyone to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment