new

Friday, May 13, 2016

Mother's day

Well, I would like to say Mother's day was quite and uneventful but that just wouldn't be my life now would it...

Mason and I got up around 6 am Sunday. We played in the living room and had pancakes for breakfast. Shortly after, Doug got up. Since Mason was in a good mood and the weather was beautiful outside I decided to go for a run... BY MY SELF! :)  It was a little chilly so I wore pants and a long sleeve shirt. Since I was all covered up I forgot to put sunscreen on my face. My forehead and nose got a touch red but not enough to mention.

(I know the first paragraph was boring but it contains details that will be needed for part 3...)

So when I got back Mason was down for his morning nap. For Mother's day I wanted to go for a picnic. We planned to pick up lunch at Wegman's then head over to Down's Park on the Chesapeake Bay. I jumped in the shower and started getting everything ready while Mason was napping. Doug told me around 10 that his parents were meeting us at 11... So I had to pick up the pace.

Doug's parents showed up and I wasn't ready. They loaded the car and watched Mason while I ran around the house trying to get all the stuff we would need for the picnic. I remembered food for Mason, the table cloth, and the cooler of drinks....

We got to Wegman's and I pigged out. I didn't realize how hungry I was until I saw all that food! I got a "small" salad, turkey sandwich, fruit, and brownies. I then grabbed Mason a chicken finger and some mac and cheese. We piled all our food in the car and headed to the park. When we got there they were busy but not bad at all. We couldn't remember where the picnic tables were so we opted for a bench in front of the water. Luckily, Doug's dad had a folding table in his truck (they had a yard sale the day before) so we were able to set the table up in front of the bench.

Since I had not eaten anything since breakfast (hence the mention of the pancakes BEFORE a run) I was HANGRY! I scarfed my salad down while everyone else set up our little picnic area. I also remembered at this point that I forgot the sunscreen so we had to strategically place Mason's stroller so he would not be in the sun. The wind was really bad so we spent a good deal of time trying to secure everything to the table. Most of what I ate included a big mouthful of my hair... yum!

After I ate my salad I attempted to feed Mason his lunch. He didn't want anything to do with his chicken strip so I switched to the mac and cheese. He ate all of that and then Doug and I swapped. He fed Mason a peach and mango fruit pouch sucky thing (I really do not know what the correct term for those things are but mom's will know what I am talking about) while I ate my sandwich and fruit. Mason sucked down his fruit so Doug and him played while I finished eating. I cut a tiny piece of cantaloupe for Mason to try. When Doug gave it to him he gagged like he normally does when we give him something he does not like.

I didn't think anything of the gag and kept eating. But then, out of the corner of my eye I saw it start. One gag turned into another and the next thing you know he was throwing up. We got him out of the stroller just as he was finishing up. Since I am now a pro at this I whipped into action. Mason was stripped down, cleaned off, and... oh yeah... rushing out the door to get to the picnic, spare clothes in diaper bag were used the day before after he threw up on the way to the airport... there are no spare clothes in the diaper bag at the park!

So now we have a naked baby, with no clothes, at the park, sun shining bright, with no sunscreen....

I used the only thing I had, a jacket and a blanket.

We cleaned his stroller off and put it in the sun to dry. Doug's dad held Mason while I finished eating and we figured out what to do. We decided to clean up our picnic area, walk down to the pier, and then head home early. I was bummed. I wanted Mason to run around the park and play. They have a great playground and the visions of us playing on it were hanging over my pouting lip.

But once again, his throwing up and having no clothes had a bright side. If everything went as planned and we got to stay at the park longer, Mason probably would have gotten sunburned since we didn't have sunscreen AND my shoulders and face would have gotten a few shades redder than they already were. :)

Nothing like puke and sunburn for your 2nd Mother's Day... Yay!












No comments:

Post a Comment