new

Friday, April 9, 2010

"Not spoiled, just loved"

A friend of mine saw this quote on the back of some one's vehicle and shared it on Facebook. Well as soon as I saw it I knew it was "MY" quote. But it needed to be changed.

"Not spoiled, just well taken care of."
"Not spoiled, just loved."

It all started when I was born. Only daughter and first granddaughter. Those were some pretty hefty titles and I think I did a good job living up to them. Ha! I was a very loved child. I had Memaw's and Pops' heart the moment I took my first breath. You should see the pictures of my first Christmas and birthday. There was no way I needed all those toys but they all truly felt like I needed them. I don't remember them but I am sure I loved them all! Every time we went to Wal-Mart or the grocery store I would get a prize. I was a huge Barbie fan so that was usually my choice. But I also loved notebooks and pens. I had tons and I would go through them quickly. At Cracker Barrel I would get my favorite Rock Candy and at McDonald's I would get to play an extra 10 minutes. I always got my favorite biscuits for breakfast and ice cream for dessert. And every night I spent the night she would rock me until I fell asleep.


Now don't get me wrong. Just because I was loved very much does not mean I was not made to behave. Memaw always had her stack of switches in the corner ready for me. If I was really bad she would make me go and pick my own. She would even write my name on it. I wasn't a bad child but those switches sure were reason enough to do what she said.


One time my parents went on a vacation without me and I stayed at Memaw & Pops' house. I was so excited! When my parents came back to get me I hid from them. I was moving in with Pops and never leaving. I know Memaw would have been ok with that but she convinced me my Mom would be really sad if I never came home.


My parents and grandparents always wanted me to have and do what they were not able to have and do when they were my age. I went to Disney World every year. I went to the beach multiple times each year. We did this and did that and thanks to them I have tons of childhood memories to cherish.


When I got older my friends always made fun of me because every time I got in trouble I got to go shopping. They all saw it as spoiled but my Mom saw it as 45 minutes with me in a car and I could not get out. She knew I would not turn down a shopping trip and she knew I would want to go to Atlanta or Columbus. So I was stuck in the car with her and we would talk about everything. It wasn't torture but it did the trick.


Now I am married to the biggest "well taker care of" (not spoiler, remember) of them all. He loves me so much he would do whatever I asked him to. It is really nice when I come home and I do not want to cook diner or do the laundry. He is no cook so he will either call a delivery place or he will go get something. But laundry, dishes, vacuuming, grocery shopping, or anything else I don't want to do he will take care of it. Or he will tell me I don't have to do it that day; I can do it the next day or that weekend. All he ever wants to do is make me happy and I love him for that. Nothing on the to do list is ever more important than my happiness. Every time he goes to the gas station he will bring me home a surprise. Whether it's my favorite candy bar or my favorite water (Fiji!!!), he always thinks of me and knows my surprise will make me smile.

And I "well taken care of" him with food. Every night he picks what he wants for diner and I cook it. Even when making the grocery list he picks what I am going to buy to cook. I cook for him because it makes him happy. I love to make him his favorite foods and it makes me happy when he smiles after the first bite.

Some people would argue that people in my life show me love by buying me stuff or by doing things for me. But I am here to say that is not the case. My family loves me and loves spending time with me. Yes my Mom and I spend time shopping but it goes deeper than that. We are talking and enjoying each others company, not sitting in front of a TV. We are making memories and reconnecting. No it does not take a trip or shopping to do it, but it is so much more fun! Sit on the beach and talk versus sitting on the couch at home? I mean really! Half the time we go shopping neither one of us buy anything. I love Doug and no amount of candy bars will make me love him more.

So NO. I am not spoiled. I am loved!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE YOU you sweet precious child. Through my tears I thank God, your mother and memaw and your precious daddy for making you such an amazing woman. I am so glad you and Doug have such a loving and giving marriage. He's my new hero!!! I am SO very proud of you Heather. Your memaw always was, but would be so proud of you today. G-Aunt Sandra

    ReplyDelete