new

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Snip Snip

Since Mason had to go to the NICU right away he was not able to be circumcised in the hospital right after he was born. We had to wait to get the ok from the doctor and a referral to an urologist. The earliest we could get an appointment was two weeks after he came home. Typically doctors don't like doing the procedure once they get a certain age and weight but we luckily slid right under those restrictions.

When we were in the waiting room Mason was a very happy baby. I don't know if it was the full belly or if he was finally feeling better after having a tiny stomach bug over the long weekend. As we played and smiled at each other I kept apologizing for what was about to happen. I wouldn't have felt so bad if he was fussy and cranky. But to do THAT when he was so happy and content broke my heart.

The doctors said he slept through the procedure and we're surprised how little he cried afterwards. I was happy to hear he wasn't screaming but it made me sad too. I guess he was use to the poking and pricking from the NICU. The person that mailed me the packet of information and forms forgot to include the very important instructions. On that paper it said to bring a bottle and food to feed baby after the procedure is over. They wait 20 minutes and check the area again to make sure it looks good before they let you go home. The bottle is to keep baby calm while you wait... Yeah that would have been great to know. The one time I don't bring a bottle and food because we weren't going to be gone long is the one time I needed it more than ever! Thankfully they offered sugar water on the pacifier to help keep him calmish. He still screamed but it wasn't too bad.

Poor guy screamed the entire car ride home. By the time we got there he was asleep so I let him sleep in the car seat. I was not disturbing him after his tramatic morning. Shortly after he woke up screaming again but I had a bottle ready. He stuffed himself then passed out. I sure hope he gets some sleep today. I have a house to get ready for grandparents!

Laying on the magical pillow after eating. I hope he sleeps the day away so he is not in much pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment