new

Saturday, June 20, 2015

1st Day of Daycare

Monday (15th) Mason had his first day of daycare. It was more hectic than bittersweet. Getting up and getting ready went smoothly. Mason did really well and didn't fuss so I could get ready. He was asleep when we got to the daycare. Poor thing was relaxed, without a care in the world. He had no idea what was going on or even where he was. I hate I didn't get to tell him goodbye but there was no way I was waking him up.

The hectic part was with the daycare. When we got there the office managers were not there. So there was no warm welcome. We actually had another parent open the door for us and show us what room to go in. The nursery worker gave us some forms to fill out (the sleep/eat/poop chart and the medicine authorizations) and showed us where to put his stuff. Being my first day, I had no idea what to bring. I briefly explained what we brought and gave them directions for his medicine. With all the other parents dropping off their kids I didn't really get to talk to them. I felt like we were rushed and not given that special attention I was expecting.

When we left, I was a little teary eyed but was more dazed from the whole experience. I was sad to leave him but the stint in the NICU kinda helped made it easier to leave him. Unlike most mothers, I had already left my baby with complete strangers. I still worry because the workers at NICU, to me, are way more qualified to keep an eye on my kid than the nursery workers. So I am adjusting to liking/trusting the new strangers.

Later that morning, the office manager called me at work. I told her I was disappointed in her not being there and really felt unsure about the whole situation. She was very apologetic and talked with me for awhile to answer all my questions. I found out Mason's actual "teacher" was on leave due to a death in the family so they were keeping all the babies in one room and had substitutes for help. Right now I drop him off in one room and pick him up in another. I am not sure if that will change once she gets back or if that is how they do things. I get there early and pick up late so I don't think they are fully staffed at those times. She did a very good job of looking over his paperwork I filled out and asking for clarifications on important stuff they needed to know. That really helped put me at ease. After we went over some administrative stuff I offered to come by on my lunch to check on him and ask her all my questions.

When I got there, Mason was asleep so I didn't get to spend any time with him. I found out where his crib was, where his stuff went, and where to put his bottles. I had no idea what to bring so I just brought the daily diaper bag stuff. They thought it was the stuff I wanted to keep at the daycare so they emptied the entire bag into his bin. So I made a list of all the things I needed to bring to keep there and repacked his diaper bag. When I got home that evening I was stressed trying to get it all together. I even had to order a few extra things like diaper rash cream so I could keep it there. I went over his medical history and we talked about his medicine. I told them about his bad eating and burping habits and told them to use the gas medicine as needed (for his sake and theirs!). Since he was still asleep I didn't hang there much longer.

When I picked him up they were just starting to give him his bottle. So I took a seat and fed him. That helped me get use to the place a bit more and get to know the nursery worker. That was when I noticed the Auburn apparel she was wearing. It was great knowing a member of the Auburn family was watching Mason. Unfortunately, she is leaving for school soon so she will only be with him for a short time. When I went to change his diaper, he did the whole poop in every fresh diaper I stuck under his behind thing. We went through every diaper he had left - 3! I thought I was going to have to take him home in a dirty diaper but luckily another mom was there and she gave me one of her daughter's. Love how us mom's stick together! I really think she felt bad for me. She knew it was our first day and that I had no clue on what I was doing. Ha!

When I got home I was exhausted. The first week got better but that first day was a very long one. Glad it's over and done with. Now we can get use to our new normal.


No comments:

Post a Comment