new

Sunday, November 1, 2015

1st Halloween

Oh Halloween. I know Mason has no clue on what Halloween is or means but I still wanted to make this memory with him. And oh what a memory we made. By the end of the night I hurt and was in need of whisky. I had high expectations and too many plans. I set myself up for failure. But we did have fun despite all the crazyness.

We let Mason take a long nap around 4 so he would be happy and ready to go trick-or-treating. I also wanted to give him a small bottle since his next feeding was suppose to be during the peak trick-or-treating time. He woke up happy and ready to play; however, a fight broke out when we gave him his bottle. Since introducing baby food Mason has not been the biggest fan of the bottle. He use to down 6 ounces in minutes. Now we fight to get 2 or 3 in him. He was getting better but this time he didn't even take an ounce. Half an hour later we got 2.5 in him and admitted defeat. He was fussy and over us and the bottle.

We got on his costume (technically his third) and went outside to take pictures of our little Batman. Of course, he was not happy with his black outfit so he tried to change it to white... using his spit up. Hand to forehead! So we had a stinky, stained, and fussy Batman this year. I know all the neighbors were thrilled to smell/see him. We would literally be saying "Trick-or-Treat" and he would give us a big ole' yucky treat all down the front of his costume. I think we went through 4 or 5 burp cloths in less than half an hour.

We took a quick trip around the block and then headed back home to hand out candy. Mason smiled a few times but pretty much just sat in my arms and took everything in. Hopefully next year he will get more joy out of it. At first we got a few kids stopping by but it slowly slipped to none. It was dark out and our street was pitch black. We were the only house on our little strip that had a light on so EVERYONE was skipping right past our street. I went to the end of the street and saw tons of kids going up and down the other streets. I went back to grab the candy and took Mason down to the corner to hand out the rest of our candy. I was literally having to yell at people that I had candy and to please come see us. I was not in costume, had a baby, and had a bowl full of candy. Seriously, why was it that hard???

We invited Ryan and Shannon to come over and join in the festivities with us. I planned on making some buffalo chicken dip and then grilling out for dinner. Well, I prepped the dip early so as we were getting ready to head out I popped the dip in the oven to cook. It was done by the time we left so I turned the oven off and left it in there to keep it warm. With all the craziness of trying to get Mason fed, ready, and out trick-or-treating then the fun we were having giving out our candy, I totally forgot about dinner. I forgot to marinate the meat and I forgot to cook the potatoes. Thankfully Ryan and Shannon are nice and understanding. I was able to scrounge up some baked beans and frozen veggies  for sides. It wasn't quite enough for 4 people but we made it work. We finally got to eat our bland hamburgers and scrap sides around 8:30 or so. At this point I was done. My arms hurt from holding Mason all night, my head hurt from trying to keep dinner and trick-or-treating together, and my stress level was through the roof. It was ok, though. I always keep a bottle of Jack in the freezer for moments like this. :)

So lessons learned for next year:
1. Order pizza for dinner
2. Put up lights or play music so people will come by and get our free candy
3. If lights and music work, we are going to need a LOT MORE candy (insert "We are going to need a bigger boat" kind of a feeling. Our neighborhood has TONS of kids!)
4. Use a stroller
5. Buy a spare costume
6. Have ZERO expectations!

Costume #1 - wore to daycare on Friday
  

 Costume #2 - wore during the "game"
 

Costume #3 - cutest Batman we saw all night

 Practicing our "Trick-or-Treat!"

A neighbor did a great job decorating their house, so we used it as a backdrop for our picture :)

Family Trick-or-Treating selfie

Another house with good decorations

 Daddy giving Mommy's arm a break
 

 Handing out candy... he was filled with excitement...


 Ryan and Shannon helping hand out candy

No comments:

Post a Comment