new

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Renaissance is not so Renaissance

Last weekend we went to the Renaissance Festival. They have juggling, jousting, and all sorts of other acts. The main reason Doug goes is because they start serving beer as soon as the door opens (9am!) and they have tons of food. Fried anything you can imagine, crab cakes, loaded baked potatoes, beef jerky, steak on a stick, turkey legs, sweet nuts (roasted almonds with the sugar on the outside), and cheesecake on a stick! Doug bought a cool beer mug but did not fill it up until a respectable time. He was focused on the food. I can not say I did not sample anything he got but I can say the only thing I bought was a loaded baked potato and some fried cheese balls. Yum!
I like to go to the festival because they have tons of hand-made stuff. It's kinda like a craft fair but half the stuff is renaissancey... like renaissance style clothing, swords, and dragon stuff. I bought a pair of earrings... sans dragon.
The only other reason to go is people watching. Yeah... it was bad. It is amazing what people will wear to a RENAISSANCE festival. I saw goth, fairies, and bikers. You know how Halloween (for some young ladies, not all) is an excuse to wear the least amount of clothing. Well the Renaissance festival is kinda like that. I almost started a "People of the Renaissance Festival" web-site. It would do well... Now do not get me wrong, the people who work there dress appropriately (and in the right time period) and a good bit of people who come dressed in costume do a really good job. However, the others just use it as an excuse to let their freak flag fly... And for those who know me well know I would never dress up so don't even ask about my costume. You can rent them but I am not a "dress up" kind of a person.
All in all, we had a fun day. Here are a few pictures...


Waiting on the acts to begin.

Oh just another day swallowing swords...

The guy got a cigarette from Doug, lit it, swallowed it, then started blowing smoke out of his stomach!



No comments:

Post a Comment