new

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Washington National Cathedral

Yesterday we headed to Georgetown to go on a tour of the Washington National Cathedral. If you have ever been there you will see my pictures do not do it justice. It was a gloomy, rainy day so the church (which is almost completely lit by natural light) was not very bright inside. My camera tried to do the place justice but this is one of those times I wished I had a nice fancy camera (you know, the ones all the Asian tourist have around their necks).

Everything in the church has a story behind it. Literally, EVERYTHING. I was amazed at the stories I heard and the craftsmanship that went into building every inch of the place. I really recommend going if you ever get the chance. I also recommend reading up on the church as there is no way I can retell everything I learned yesterday.

See the netting across the top, going all the way down the church. It is to catch any falling debris caused by the earthquake about 2 years ago. They are still repairing the damage. 

This window (the Space window) has a piece of moon rock in it. 


Between the netting and the overcast day, the three rose windows were not as vibrant as they normally are.

Woodrow Wilson's crypt



A cross made from the Pentagon where the plane hit on 9/11

A statue of Jesus as a child outside of the Children's Chapel

The choir and organ area

High Alter - To give you an idea of how big this is, the statue of Jesus in the middle is the size of a seated 5'8 man. 

Each post is a carving of one of the 12 disciples. The last one, closest to the camera, is blank as this one represents Judas.

The memorial to Mary in the St. Mary Chapel. 

Bethlehem Chapel


Scaffolding around the bell tower and the tops of the cathedral repairing the earthquake damage.



Washington National Monument from the observation tower. 




No comments:

Post a Comment