new

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Sniffles

The Nunley's got the sniffles this past week. Not sure who the original culprit was (either Mason or me) but it all started Tuesday with a little runny nose. Doug stayed up all night with Mason as he was fussy from not being able to breathe well. He didn't realize what was causing Mason's discomfort and thought it was gas. When I got up Wednesday morning and got out the snot sucker, he calmed down and finally went to sleep. I started not feeling well on Wednesday. My throat felt like I had snored all night long. My nose started running a little bit but it was off and on. Mason slept good that night but we had to stay on top of the snot sucking. We got some saline drops to help along with some vapor rub for his chest. We also hooked up the cool vapor machine and stuck it right next to wherever he was. We kept him in the glider since it had an adjustable seat and we could prop him up while keeping him rocking. (Big thanks for all those shower gifts! They really came in handy!) By Wednesday evening my nose was running a lot so Doug stocked us up on tissues and cough drops. He once again stayed up all night with Mason. Even though he slept, his breathing was something Daddy felt he needed to keep a watch on. 

I kept a check on him while he was at daycare. He never ran a fever so I let him go each day. By Thursday Doug was starting to get congested. Every time he gets sick, it always goes straight to his lungs and turns into bronchitis. I was praying we all didn't end up at the doctor! I went to work and carried on my normal routine until about 7 each night. Then I crashed. Thursday night I got up with Mason so Doug could sleep. Mason and I were about the same Friday morning  but Doug felt better. I called the Pediatrician that afternoon because he started coughing a bit more than normal. You could hear the fluid he was trying to clear out. I am sure there is a good description for that type of cough but i cant think of it. They suggested bringing Mason in only if we felt that his lungs were starting to be affected. I figured we all had that "can't do anything about it, let it run its course" sniffles. 

By that evening I was not feeling well. Mason was being a little extra fussy and I was exhausted. Since Doug felt better he stepped in and took care of us. We normally have him down by 5 or 6 as he is exhausted from his day at daycare (he doesn't nap much from all the entertainment). We didn't get him down until after 8. Doug let me sleep and took care of Mason again all night. I wish I could say I woke up feeling better the next morning but I didn't. 

Saturday Mason was still not feeling better so we decided to take him to the doctor. Besides a head cold heading to his chest, he was diagnosed with an ear infection. I use to get them all the time when I was little so I feel his pain. Makes my heart break for him. We got him some antibiotics, me some mucinex, and headed home for nap time!

Saturday evening Mason was a little extra fussy. We put him in the bathroom when Doug took a shower like the doctor suggested. The steam really helped him and he coughed a good bit while he was in there. And since we now knew he had an ear infection, we gave him some Tylenol to help with the pain. Since he didn't nap much during the day he was good and asleep by 9.

Sunday he was in a very good mood and feeling much better. Besides a little congested cough and runny nose, he was good to go. We kept Tylenol in him just in case. :)

Mason handled being sick fairly well. He would smile and play for a little while like normal; however, he got sleepy more quickly. He screamed when we got the snot sucker out on him but he was much happier after when he could breathe. He had to adjust a bit to eating with a runny/stopped up nose. The first few feedings he screamed and wouldn't eat. Once we cleared his nose out and he got the hang of things he was good to go. I was scared his sleep would be few and far between but he did really well. He would get riled up when we sucked snot but would pass out shorty after. 

Being pitiful on the way to the doctor 

Waiting on the doctor

After all these years the color hasn't changed. I almost want to taste it to see if it still has that same bubble gum flavor.

Late night selfie with Daddy

A swing and some cool vapor, lifesavers!

A tired but happy boy

Laying on Mommy's lap 

No comments:

Post a Comment