new

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New house, new job, and a hurricane

Sorry I have not been able to blog about everything that has been going on. I have either had no power, had no computer, or had no time. I am writing this at 10:30 pm. I have to get up in 7 hours... That is just not cool! I am exhausted and we have barely touched any boxes. So, I guess I will start at the beginning.

Friday we watched the weather all morning and decided it was best to go ahead and leave that evening. The hurricane was coming and they were predicting it to be strong with lots of flooding. So we made reservations in Mooresville, NC (just N of Charlotte). We ate dinner one last time at our favorite Mexican restaurant with our most favorite neighbors and some great friends. It was sad to leave them. They all came to the house afterwards to see us off. Jordan (the 5 yr old) cried the hardest. I cried when I said goodbye to her, her Mom, Kylee, and Ray.




Then we hit the road. We got in around 10:30 and got as settled as we could. Auburn was barking at everything. We had to pull her crate away from the door and next to us so she would stop and go to sleep. I think we got 5 hours of sleep that night. We got up Saturday morning, got ready, ate breakfast and hit the road. Auburn did her fare share of barking again every time Doug or I would leave the room. She was a mess!



On our last leg of the journey Auburn passed out in the back seat. Must have been nice to nap while we drove. I still have not caught up on the sleep I missed. The clouds where hanging low in the mountains of Virginia. I wish I could have got a picture. It was eery. It started raining on us about the last 1-2 hours of the trip. By the time we pulled into town, Irene did too. It was raining like crazy and the wind was howling. We were soaked unloading the car. That night we lost power around 7:30 pm. Auburn was very happy to see Doug's Mom & Dad and their dog. We got some sleep that night but it was not much. The wind and rain continued Sunday until about midday. Then the clouds disappeared and it was beautiful out. We hooked up the generator his dad bought to the TV, fan, and fridge and enjoyed the nice day. The power came on around 6-7 that night and we celebrated by taking showers.



Monday I started my new job. It is definitely different and something to get use to but I am enjoying it. Right now I am doing a 2 week orientation process which is information overload. I sit in class from 8-4:30 and listen to people tell me about all kinds of stuff. It is not too boring but by 3 I am getting the itch to go. They give us breaks but I think I need a stair-stepper kind of a break. Ha! Today I drove myself to and from work without any difficulty. Now, do not ask me how to get anywhere else. Ha! We are working on getting me a GPS but for now Doug is driving everywhere.

Today the movers brought our stuff. They were suppose to be here yesterday but Irene delayed them. Doug and his Mom had fun doing that while I worked. :) We have unpacked some stuff but not much. Everything fits, which is a good thing, but it is tight in a few places. I promise to put up pictures when I am done unpacking. The curtain rods and curtains I bought do not fit. The windows are huge and they start high up on the wall. So I will be going to Target to swap the ones I have and get more. I did not realize how many windows the place had. It took me 2 hours to go through boxes and find the lamps and a bag I need for work. We are still looking for the scissors. Thank goodness keys work well with opening boxes.

Well, I think that is about it. We have not been up to much but I am exhausted from what we have been doing. I told Doug we are sleeping all day Saturday. It's suppose to rain!! :) And Yay for Monday off!! I can not say we (Me, Doug, or Auburn) have adjusted yet because we have yet to have a normal day. I am so ready to come home, cook dinner, and spend time with my husband, puppy, and couch! And like I said, pictures will come of the new place as soon as it is ready. (Sara- I am not sure when I am painting. I am too tired to even think about it. So do not be judging my white walls!) Hopefully I will talk to ya again soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment