new

Friday, August 26, 2011

So Surreal

So today is it. We are leaving in just a couple of hours to eat with friends and then we are heading out. The hurricane has really messed our plans up. We are leaving tonight and staying just north of Charlotte, NC. Then we are driving the rest of the way Saturday morning. From the looks of it, we will be driving right along with the hurricane. I think it wanted to make the trip with us. So, the ride should be wet and interesting. Hopefully we will be able to get gas if we need it and we are crossing our fingers that we will have power at the hotel tonight and when we get to our place Saturday. Knowing my luck, probably not. When I called to reserve the hotel room, it was one of the last TWO available! Full house tonight! I hope I get to start work Monday. If I do, I will probably get soaked and look marvelous on my first day!
As I am typing this I am standing at my kitchen counter because the house is EMPTY! I am exhausted but everything is packed and clean. When the movers got here Wednesday we were ready. It felt weird sitting back and watching everyone else work. It was nice, don't get me wrong but it was weird. The movers packed my "moving" clothes and my work clothes. That was interesting. They had to take everything off the truck to get to the box it was in. Other than that, everything has gone smooth. We donated the desk to a friend who was having a fundraiser yard sale for her mission trip and we sold the washer and dryer on crigslist. We keep looking for stuff and realizing, "The movers packed it!" But so far it has been nothing major.
Sleeping on the air mattress in an empty house was just not right. We preferred a hotel but how many hotels do you know that let you stay for free? Auburn LOVED the air mattress. It was just tall enough for her to jump up on and once she jumped up you had to drag her off. While we packed and cleaned, she slept on the bed. Lazy butt! Today when we were packing the car she started whining and barking like crazy. I think she thinks we are leaving her. It is hard to tell her we are not and that she is coming with. I hope she does not freak when we go to dinner tonight. She keeps going and laying in her crate because, from what I can guess, it's the only thing left in the house that is hers. Plus, if we have loaded the car with everything else that is big and the crate is big, she may think getting in it will make sure she is brought along.
I am sure I have left some stuff out from the last few days but I will remember and blog when things slow down. I have a couple of pictures from dinners with friends to share. I will try to remember to put some up of lazy butt Auburn on her air mattress. Until then, wish us luck on our drive. Talk to you from Odenton, MD!

No comments:

Post a Comment