new

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

NICU - Wednesday through Monday (22-27)

After a welcomed uneventful Wednesday night, we got our stuff and headed home. We needed some food, rest, and beep beep (Auburn) time. I was able to sleep some then we got a few things done around the house. I called the hospital around one for an update. His numbers still hadn't changed, they didn't need any new blood pressure meds, and they were even able to turn back the respirator a couple of notches which was great news. We took showers, went to the grocery store, then headed back to DC to see out little man. We decided to pack bags to keep on hand in case Mason's status changed quickly or we needed to stay overnight. So we bought a bunch of travel size bathroom stuff at the store to keep bagged up. Then we put some clothes in a bag that could stay in there. Some stuff like pillows and meds we have to bring in and out of the house but everything else could stay in the car. Hopefully we won't have to use it and come home every night but we are prepared just in case.

Thursday night Ryan, Shannon, and Mom came with us to the hospital. We got a nothing new update which was music to this mommy's ears. No changes meant no set backs and one day closer to bringing him home. We stayed for a bit to visit and then came back home. Ryan and Shannon had brought us cupcakes and everyone was excited to come back and taste test. Auburn was super excited to see us come back. She is still so confused and doesn't have a clue on what is going on. 

As soon as we woke up Friday we called the hospital to get an update. Mason had a good night. Nothing changed! They were able to dial back the blood pressure meds and ventilator a couple of notches. We were very surprised to hear that already. Since he was doing well we hung at the house that morning and headed to see him around 3 that afternoon. I was suppose to have a blood pressure checkup in annapolis at the ob/gyn office but I cancelled it. The nurse called back and asked to get some readings from my home machine and call back with those numbers. Unfortunately they were not good. They ended up putting me back on my blood pressure meds. I kinda figured it would happen with all the stress and lack of sleep but I hoped it wouldn't. But I have to take care of myself so I can be there for Mason. 

When we went to the hospital my mom and Doug's mom came with us. He was still doing well and the nurse on duty was amazing. She talked to me about all kinds of stuff and really helped put me at ease. She even let me change his diaper and take his temperature. They wanted to do another pick line (they had to take out the one in his belly button when he got to Children's ) so we headed out. It's a long, sterile process so we couldn't be in the room. For dinner we ate Five Guys. I think my aversion to ground beef is finally over! Unfortunately I was a mess while we were eating. It was hard to see everyone living their lives with no worries in the world. It was barely over a week ago that was us. Full of happiness and just about worry free. Now we are living minute by minute, holding our breaths, and praying our poor baby boy stays stable. I just cried and cried over my hamburger and the thought of how this nightmare was going to last for longer than I would want.

Our Friday night update was a good one. Another notch down on the blood pressure meds and the ventilator. He was good and stable and that makes mommy and daddy very happy! 

A coworker who lives by our house contacted Doug and said she had money for our expenses to give us. People had been asking what they could do for us so we said money for gas, parking, and food would be much appreciated. Well, my work collected money and gave it to my coworker to give us. I have blogged before about how much I love my job and my coworkers but they just amazed me! I was so amazed at their generosity and support for us during this horrible time. Between the prayers, Facebook status shares  (they were asking their friends to pray for us), and the money for expenses they have been more than what I could have ever imagined. I am so extremely thankful for working where I do and with the people I work with. Everything happens for a reason. I was suppose to work where I do and gotten pregnant now. It's crazy how it has all worked out! 

Saturday mornings report was another good one. They were going down on everything (the oxygen, nitric oxide, sedation, blood pressure meds, and the ventilator) and his numbers were staying the same. He was reacting to a lot more (touch, light, sound, etc) which is not something they really want as one small thing could set him back but they were overall pleased with his status. My blood pressure was also down but I was still not feeling the best (headaches and shakey). I am sure it was from exhaustion. The sleeping pills may help me sleep but they don't help me relax. I refuse to take any of those kinds of pills. I don't want something to happen to Mason and me be knocked out. I can wake up from the sleeping pills but the others I cannot. 

The afternoon visit was uneventful  (yay!). Little guy just slept and was peaceful. His numbers stayed strong so we just enjoyed our time with him. I still am not use to alarms going off every second. Its relaxing and nerve racking at the same time. The nurse on duty was really nice (loved them all so far!). She gave us even more information on his status and what they were planning for him. If he continued to stay strong, they wanted him off the nitric oxide within a few days. Then they would continue to lower everything else.

Saturday night's update was much of the same. They lowered his oxygen, dopamine, and nitric levels and his numbers are holding strong. They didn't have much plans for the evening other than monitoring him. 

Sunday mornings update was much of the same. They lowered his dopamine and nitric levels again. Waiting on rounds to figure out the plans for the day. We went to church  (Severn Run) with Mom. I knew I would cry the entire time I was there but it helped me feel more peaceful. Mom really enjoyed the service. It is a very nontraditional church but it didn't even phase her Baptist soul. We went and had Applebee's for lunch to get out of the house a bit longer. It was a beautiful day and I would have much rather spent it walking with Mason in the strollers like every other mom and child in the neighborhood. Of course, I had to potty when we were there and I left my potty kit at home (too much info to share on a blog but mom's who had a natural delivery know what I am referring to). Doug had to ask the server for a kids cup for me to use in place of my water bottle. I bet they don't see that everyday. :)

Sunday afternoon's update was full of news. His nitric oxide level was at 3 1/2. The nurse said they would take him down to 3 at 6 pm and if he did good he would be off it completely within a day or so. The oxygen level was at 26% (21 is normal room level), his dopamine was down to 6, and his sedation was low enough to where he was starting to wake up. He had been moving around more and opening his eyes and his numbers were staying the same! They were even able to take out the cathader as he was peeing in his diaper. The nurse was very optimistic and thought they would be able to continue weaning him off the rest of his meds at a steady pace.

With the good news I went and laid down for the afternoon. Doug and I had decided we wanted to stay the night at the hospital. With mom heading home Tuesday we figured it might be one of the last chances we got since mom would not be here to watch Auburn for us. 

Sunday night was more good news as is nitric oxide and sedation were lowered again. When we got to the room the nurse was giving him a bath. This was great to see! Usually they tried not to touch him bc he would get so worked up when you did. The bath meant his numbers were staying stable enough when touching him that they didn't have to worry about him so much when they did. I even got to put lotion on him! I was able to pull a chair up next to his bed and love on him. His little eyes would open some but with the sedation it was very brief and his eyes would roll back. It was going to be really hard to get some sleep when I was able to interact with him more than I had in what seemed like forever. Plus, the nurse was letting me help with his checkups every few hours. I got to change diapers, take his temperature, and help rotate him. 

His blood pressure meds made it all the way down to 4 before morning  (5 am). The nurse said 3 was almost like not being on anything. He kept getting irritated at the ventilator tubes since he was less sedated and trying to breathe on his own. He was fighting to get them out. He was also getting a lot of fluid in his lungs from the humidity in the oxygen. Between the two the nurse really hoped they would be able to take it out before the end of the day. 

When we left around 8 am the nitric oxide was turned off and the blood pressure meds were on 3! Mason was doing so well and we hoped to come back that evening to find him off the dopamine and ventilator. Since we didn't get much sleep at the hospital we went home and got in the bed. 

After our nap I called to get an update and the news was spectacular! He was off the ventilator, blood pressure meds, nitric oxide, and sedation! It was a prayer answered! The nurse said that when I came in that evening I would finally get to hold him. That was icing on the cake! They still had an oxygen tube in his nose to still get him the max amount of pure oxygen but they did that for precautionary reasons and didn't think he would need it for long. That evening when we visited I got to hold him for like two hours. My arms were exhausted but it was great! That night was the first time I left the hospital and didn't cry the whole way home.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm so thankful for the wonderful news about Mason!! God is so good!!

    ReplyDelete