new

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Another punch in the gut

Lately I have been in a "down-in-the-dumps" mood. I know everybody goes through a period in their life where it seems like they are stalled. Nothing is changing, you are not moving forward, you are not growing. You feel as if the gear stick in your life is stuck in neutral and a wrecking ball keeps pounding your side of the car over and over again. I keep asking, "When is it going to end?" but it never seems to stop. Just when I think things may be ok, I get another punch in the gut.
This time the punch came from the IRS. We try to plan and save for extra expenses but this one we did not foresee, and it was a big wrecking ball. Isn't it funny how you do not allow yourself to buy something or do something because it cost too much but then an unexpected expense happens and it just so happens to be the exact amount of the thing you wanted or wanted to do? Ironic isn't it!
Doug and I will be in our 30's soon. I know we are very lucky and our lives are much better than some; however, where we are is not good enough for me. I want more for us. (This refers to all aspects of our lives.) Is that wrong of me to want more? Am I being punished for setting higher goals and higher standards for us?
I feel like every time we take one step forward the wrecking ball comes in and pushes us two steps back. I feel like I am always playing catch up. Doug says I need to stop "expecting" so much and be happy with the way things are but why should I settle? If I want to be President of the US, why can't I strive to be that? Isn't that what we all should do?
I think Sex and the City did an episode on how you can't have it all. You can't be successful in life (work, money, personal goals) and be successful in love (family, significant other, etc). In life you have your health (mental & physical), family, friends, work, & wealth. Is it one or the other? Can you have a balance? Right now I feel like it is one or the other. I have family and friends. (Even though there are a few of them I am really missing right now!)I blame the others for my mental and physical health issues. Ha! Looking back now, I would say we once had work and wealth. So did I have to trade those things for family and friends? In what way is that fair?
I know I will eventually get out of the rut I am in, but if I get another punch you might see me running down Washington road screaming at the top of my lungs! Will you visit me in my white, padded cell?

No comments:

Post a Comment