new

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The first 24 hrs

They say the first 24 hours are the worst. My question is for whom? Me or the new puppy?

When we brought Auburn home yesterday she was quite content. She did great on the ride home and slept most of the day. She has attached herself to a purple hand towel and seems to be enjoying her toys. She got to meet Belle, the baby German Shepherd next door, Sadie, Doug's Mom & Dad's Cocker Spaniel, and Abby, Rick & Lisa's mini Schnauzer. Auburn had many visitors and she loved being held by each of them. She even enjoyed playing with Trenton.

But the one thing she does not like (you guessed it!) is her cage.

When we first put her in it last night she whined for a few minutes and eventually fell asleep. Then at 11:20 she began to cry. I held out and she eventually fell back asleep. However, the time between her sleeping and crying disappeared and she was doing nothing but crying. I got up around 2 to take her out and we spent the rest of the night on the couch. She actually sleeps pretty good... with me next to her.

This morning we ate breakfast and I finally got her to (as politely as I know how to say it)do #2. She has no problem doing #1 and she is doing great about holding it until she gets outside. Then she played with Doug while I made us breakfast. I put her in her cage and the crying began. I swear it sounds like we are stabbing her with hot pokers. I was in tears half-way through my waffle. I tried not to go get her but my heart got in the way. I just held her while I was crying. Tomorrow is going to be so hard! Even though I will not hear her crying I will know she will be.

Here are a few pictures from out first 24 hours.











2 comments:

  1. you will be great with your new puppy. They do take over. We kept saying we needed to watch the dog whisperer so we would learn how to be the "pack leader" but so far Charlee is the pack leader and he is in total control and we cannot change it. It is better if they learn to mind you, but good luck. When you love them so much it is so hard to not let them do what they want, but..... I have a saying...don't start something you can't (or won't want to) keep up. Just Love your sweet pup. Aunt Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww. too Cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete