new

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

For the Love of Family

Working for the government, I have many opportunities to live all over the country and all over the world. Maryland was just the beginning of that journey for us. When I applied and accepted the position, we had every intention of only making Maryland our starting point. We dreamed big of the places my new job could take us. Travel the world. Become a local. Have once in a lifetime experiences. We already new where our next place of residence would be once the opportunity presented itself.

Then Mason came along.

I know Mason can go wherever we go and that kids all over the world move multiple times throughout their childhood. My thing is, I can't bring my entire family with us.

It was one thing missing holidays and special occasions when it was just the three of us. Now, with Mason, I do not want to take that away from him. I cherish my memories of playing with grandparents, cousins, and aunts/uncles when I was young. Most of the people I was in daycare with I graduated high school with. My family has already missed out on the majority of Mason's first 2 years. The sweet, cuddly baby stage. The wobbly, exploring toddler age. And the oh so fun terrible 2's.

It's selfish for me to keep him away from his family because I want to live on the other side of the country.

I want Mason to have a relationship with his grandparents, aunts/uncles, and cousins. I want him to spend more than 1 week every 3 months with them. I want him to be spoiled and loved on like I was by my grandparents. I want a free babysitter! I want a vacation with just my husband again!

As much as we would love to live all over the globe, right now we want to be at home. So that is what we are doing, going home.

In my job I am serving my country, in some sense, but it's not like the military. I have a choice on where I live, where they usually do not. The mission of my job is not near as important as theirs. I could see us moving far away if my job was to protect our country like they do. But it is not. Choosing to live away from family when so many others wish they had that choice just doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe one day when he is older or off to college we can pull out our wish list again. If it is meant to be, it will be. We are young. We will have plenty of opportunities to be wild and crazy! So for now, we will move closer to home. Who knows, maybe we will move even closer as the years go by. Mason will spend those summers with the grandparents. He will play with his cousins at Christmas. He will go on vacations with his aunts & uncles. He will know the love of family like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment