new

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Long Road Home

Those who have followed me on my journey to Maryland will remember what a long process that was. Well, this one hasn't been that much shorter...

I decided a little less than 2 years ago that it was time to go home. I told my bosses at work that I loved my job but, no disrespect, it was time for me to go! I really didn't want to change jobs but I was willing to make that sacrifice. I am lucky to have great bosses who supported my decision and did anything they could, including reaching out to their contacts at GA, to help keep me from switching jobs.

I started looking both internally and externally but nothing that I was interested in or qualified for came along. One job opened up in Finance about mid 2016 and I applied for it. I was in the running for it and my bosses were almost 100% I would get it so they started preparing for my departure. Oddly enough, another Nunley got the job... Ha!

FINALLY in January 2017 multiple jobs in GA posted at my work. I applied for like 5! Some I was over qualified for and some I was not quite qualified for but I took a chance on them anyways. Out of all of them I was selected to interview for 2 in HR. Although I do not have an HR background, my experience in Finance gave me some knowledge in the area.

I interviewed for the job in February and it went really well. I was super pumped about it.Then I waited, and waited, and waited to find out if I got it. I know the contacts for the position were tired of hearing from me but I kept asking for status updates anyways. Mason's birthday was just around the corner and it was my dream to tell everyone at his birthday party that we were moving back. But I didn't get the offer before the trip.

After we got back I emailed the people I interviewed with. I told them I assumed at this point since I had not heard anything that I did not get either of the positions. I thanked them for the opportunity to interview for the positions and asked if there was any feedback I could get on my resume or interview to help me improve and hopefully get the job next time.

After I sent that email my phone rang. It was the person I had interviewed with who was responsible for selecting the applicant for the position. She apologized for the delay in feedback and explained to me all the unfortunate things that were happening behind the scenes, slowing down the process. She told me to not give up just let and that I would be hearing back from her soon.

Insert slight freak out after we hung up the phone!!!

FINALLY! Almost MAY! I was offered the position!

I still couldn't share my news outside of work because there is a lengthy approval process that goes along with a move to another state. I finally got through that process last week (over 2 months later!). I still do not have my official orders in hand but I hope to get those sometime this week.

So now the real fun begins! Moving! Thankfully we get to hire a moving company like we did when we moved up here. Only packing the "vacation" stuff and valuables will eliminate some stress. However, we have a LOT of decisions to make over the next couple of months. We will get a house hunting trip so we will be in Georgia from 21 July - 30 July. As of right now, we are slated to move on 24 August.

Of course last time we did this it was without Hurricane Mason...

Wish us luck and send lots of prayers! (Or babysitters! :) ) We will need it!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the move and going into HR! I'm the HR Department at work, and there's always something going on. If you want to enhance your resume, you can look into getting a PHR - a lot of studying, but it might be worth it if your employer values having a certification.

    ReplyDelete