new

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Real Babysitter Story

So I mentioned on Facebook that Mason was getting his first babysitter that was a "stranger" but I did not give the details behind this event. Well, now you know about our move back to GA I can finally tell the real story.

After I accepted the job in GA back in April I reached out to an old co-worker who had moved to Colorado to see if she had any plans of visiting MD soon. Luckily, she was coming back for a visit before we left so we arranged to get together for lunch. A month later, I am taking Mason to daycare and see the big notice on the door reminding parents daycare was going to be closed on Friday for teacher training (good thing I read the monthly calendar they send out... FAIL!). Of course, that Friday was the exact day I had planned months ago to see my friend.

I was super upset knowing this could be possibly the last time I ever got to see her. Our paths may cross again one day (which I really hope they will) but I didn't want to miss this opportunity to see her again. Talking with a co-worker about this dilemma, she suggested finding a babysitter for the couple of hours so I could still go. Since we have never used a babysitter and were days away from the lunch, I didn't know where to go and who would be available on such short notice.

I texted another co-worker who has 2 young daughters with lots of friends. :) She mentioned her daughters babysitting once so I figured she would know someone or point me in the right direction. She is a great mom and a great person so I knew I could trust anyone that she suggested. Luckily, her daughter was looking for ways to earn some extra cash for a beach trip and was free that afternoon. I had a babysitter!

The young lady came over and immediately took all of Mason's attention. I could not even get him to finish his lunch. I showed her around and then told Mason I was leaving but he had a new friend to play with while I was gone. He barely told me goodbye. Even Auburn could care less that I was leaving. After I left I stood at the door to make sure he didn't start screaming or Auburn went crazy. But nothing... silence. They did not care I was gone.

It broke my heart yet it reminded me I made a good decision with the person I selected to watch him. Then it worried me about how easily he went with a complete stranger... ha!

I went and had a great lunch catching up with my friend who I miss! I came back home to find the babysitter reading all his Star Wars books to him. Books & Star Wars, she would have been there for hours if I had not come home. Ha! He was so happy to see me but more excited to show me what they were doing.

So, since that went sooo smoothly I am already thinking of excuses to hire her or another sitter again. I am also very confidant that we could drop Mason off with the grands or other family for the weekend (or week or month...) and he would do just fine. Mommy-cation here I come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment