new

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wedding, Football, and Moving

This past weekend was a very busy weekend. We got to Valley around 9:30 Friday evening and pretty much went straight to bed. Saturday we got up early and got to work. Doug went with my Dad to my Grandmother's apartment to start moving the big furniture pieces and Mom and I went to the nursing home to see Grandmother.

I have not been in a nursing home since my Great Grandfather was alive. I think I was still in Jr High. I was not looking forward to the visit because the place is so depressing but I was happy to see my Grandmother. I am glad she is not staying by herself anymore because she really does need 24/7 care and supervision. However, I did not realize how bad her health had deteriorated since I had not seen her in a long time.

While at the nursing home we unloaded Mom's car with things Grandmother had asked for and we labeled everything. Do you know how hard it is to write your name on socks and slips? Then we wrote a new list for all the new stuff she wanted us to bring. I have no clue where she is going to put it all because she is sharing a room but she insists on having all this stuff.

Mom is super stressed out and I am so happy we were able to be there this weekend to help. It is so crazy what all you have to do to go into a nursing home. Mom has learned so much and I hope this will prepare us for what we need to do when it is her time to go. We also learned nursing homes are expensive has crap! Grandmother is driving Mom crazy with all her demands and Mom is so scared she will throw something away and then Grandmother will ask for it. We gave tons of stuff to the Christian Service Center (like a Goodwill but it is done by the church) and to the church for an auction to raise money for Lottie Moon. The rest was a "take it if you want it" between the four kids. I found a complete set of crystal serving pieces. I wanted some pictures but I figured if Mom got them first I would get them eventually. I did get an engagement picture of my Mom and Dad! They haven't aged a day! I was surprised how much stuff my Grandmother fit into her 2 bedroom apartment. I didn't think we would ever finish going through it all.

Saturday afternoon we watched the Bama game then we headed to Lafayette, AL for Abbie Wilbanks' wedding. It was at Oak Bowery Plantation. I was not happy about the wedding time. We missed the second half of Bama and the first half of Auburn. However, we did keep up with it on Doug's phone. I kept updating everyone at the wedding. Ha! I had planned to leave after we ate but they had free beer. Specifically Coors Light in a can which is Doug's favorite. I had to beg him to go. Finally my Dad piped in and said they were leaving. We took separate cars because I figured we would leave before them and here we were leaving because they were leaving. The wedding was gorgeous, the food was yummy, and the bride was beautiful. We had a great time and it was nice getting to see family and friends.

I did make it through the game without injury or injuring anyone around me. I was worried there for awhile but Auburn's D-fence stepped up and made some great plays to help us win. Cam looked great in the half that I saw. He has a lot of energy, strength, and passion. He is definitely a team leader and I know he can carry us straight to the SEC Championship game.

Sunday we went back to Grandmother's and to help finish up moving. However, the rain came in and stalled the process. We met Pops for lunch and then we headed back to Augusta. It took us forever to get home due to the rain storm that came in. We averaged about 50 mph because the rain never let up. It finally stopped about 20 minutes from our exit so we had enough time to unpack the car before it started again.

This weekend I have the house to myself. Doug is going to Huntsville Thursday so I am going to party. Well... party meaning watch football and never leave the house. Ha! Mini vacation for Heather!

No comments:

Post a Comment