new

Monday, August 23, 2010

Weight and bag number limits

If you have ever been on a trip with me you will know I pack everything including the kitchen sink. I am so afraid I will regret not bringing something, need something I didn't bring, or even worse forget something that I really need. So when I pack I make big lists and check everything off twice.

Now, usually when we go on a trip we are in a car and I can load that sucker down. But when you fly it's a whole nother ball game. You have limits. Why? Because airlines are greedy. They want to punish you by driving you mad, making you pick what you can and can not travel without. They limit your individual baggage weight to 50 pounds. I can meet that in just bathroom stuff. Then they charge you for not only your first bag but any additional bag you want to check and the more you check the higher the extra bag costs. Then they limit how big and how many bags you can carry on. By this point I am bald.

I mean really. When you have one bag for bathroom stuff, one bag for shoes, one bag for clothes, a hanging clothes bag, and a bag of misc. stuff, how in the HELL do they expect me to fly without it costing more than the vacation itself!

So here we are today... Monday... 5 nights before the flight... and I am balled up on the floor of my closet trying to tell my clothes who makes the cut and who doesn't. What if I need more shorts than pants? What if it ends up really cold one night? What if I spill something all over all my clothes? What if I don't pack enough short sleeve shirts? And how do I pick from all my favorite clothes? Why can't I take them all!!!!

Currently I have 4 blue jeans, 3 pants, 4 skirts, 4 shorts, 5 tank tops, 16 short sleeve shirts, 10 short sleeve t'shirts, and 6 long sleeve shirts... that I have edited... for a 9 day trip.

I need a stylist to come in and say, "Ok. Here is what you are wearing Monday... Tuesday..." That way I do not have to worry about it. I have the packing part down. I can fit tons into a suitcase. It's from years of experience with over packing. Our last trip to Wisconsin I brought 7 pairs of shoes! My luggage weighed 49.5 lbs! And I had a few things in Doug's suitcase. Ha!

I love going on vacation and I love going new places but the week before just about kills me. So too all the greedy airliners... just let people bring everything including the kitchen sink. It sure would make me a lot less stressed and I could enjoy my vacation more. It may even cut down on all the meltdowns people have at the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment